The Engineering Department issues permits for:

  • Curb cuts
  • Driveways
  • House moving
  • Sewer connections
  • Sidewalk construction
  • Street cuts

All work within the public street right of way requires a permit from the City of Midland. The public street right of way includes public streets, sidewalks, and the out lawn area.

If a hard copy permit form is preferred, contact the Engineering Department at 989-837-3348 and one will be mailed or faxed to you.

General Permit Form

The General Permit (PDF) form is for all driveway approach modifications, residential and commercial curb cuts, sidewalk installation and replacement, street cuts, and connections into the storm and/or sanitary sewer system.

Stormwater Management Permit / Application Form

Before initiating any new construction, development, redevelopment, or land use change regulated by Chapter 29 of the City's Code of Ordinances (PDF), an applicant is required to obtain a Stormwater Permit (PDF). Related development plans submitted by the applicant must meet all applicable requirements.

A fee will be required in accordance with procedures defined in Chapter 21 of the City's Code of Ordinances (PDF).

Utility Permit Application Form

Individuals or companies wishing to use the City public street right of way for installation of new utility main lines must comply with requirements set forth in Chapter 22 of the City's Code of Ordinances (PDF). A Utility Permit (PDF) is required for all new utility mainline work, with the exception of overhead public utility pole lines or work done at the direction of the City, either by contract or by employees of the City.

Moving Permit Form

Moving a building or an oversized load on a trailer within Midland City limits requires a Moving Permit (PDF). Special considerations may require coordination with the City's Engineering Department depending upon the size of the load being moved, the time of day and/or year, and the weight of the load.