Computer Services at the Library
The library has a variety of computer services available to patrons. They include access to the internet, word processing, in-house laptop rental, and more.
Internet Access Computers
- The Grace A. Dow Memorial Library provides filtered and unfiltered public access to the Internet. Use of unfiltered access is restricted to those who are 18 years of age or older, and children under the age of 18 accompanied by parent or legal guardian. Unfiltered computers are located in the Adult Services area. Staff may request identification to use the unfiltered computers. All Internet access in the Youth Services area is filtered. Parents are strongly encouraged to monitor the use of the Internet by their children.
- Internet access is provided at no charge. In order to use the Internet computers, you must have a library card or a computer access card. Applications (PDF) are available at the Checkout Desk.
- Use of the public Internet computers is limited to 90 minutes per person per day. This time may be used at one time or in increments throughout the day. This time limit is applied to users, not to computers and use of another person’s library or computer access card to extend the time is prohibited.
- Monitors must remain in the forward facing position at all times.
- Loud talking and cell phone use are discouraged. Please notify a librarian if others at the computers are creating a disturbance.
- The computers are equipped with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher 2013.
- For printing, the first page is free and each additional page is 10¢. Color printing is available at $1 per page.
- You must agree to adhere to the Grace A. Dow Memorial Library Acceptable Use Policy (PDF)
- How to Sign-in and Print from the Internet Computers (PDF)
Laptop rental is for use only within the Library.
- Laptops allow access to the Internet through the Library’s wireless network in most parts of the building.
- Internet access is filtered.
- Operating system is Windows 10.
- Laptops are equipped with Microsoft Office 2013 products- Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Users are able to upload to the Internet or download to a writable disk or flash drive. Please note that any programs or documents saved to the laptop will be erased after each individual use so the user is encouraged to use external storage for saving their work.
- Borrowers may check out a laptop provided they meet the following requirements:
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Have possession of a Driver’s License or State Identification Card
- Have a library account in good standing. Users eligible for an in-district library card must obtain one. Borrowers not eligible for an in-district library card may check out a laptop on a special laptop card if they meet the above qualifications.
- To check out a laptop borrowers must read and sign the “Laptop Borrower Agreement (PDF)” and leave a Driver’s License or Identification
Card at the Checkout Desk for the duration of the rental.
- The borrower is responsible for paying for damages or theft of the laptop during the time of rental.
- The first hour of use is free of charge. Each additional hour or partial hour may be rented for a charge of $2.50 per hour or partial hour.
- Printing is available using the mobile printing service.
- Laptops must be returned an hour before closing.
- Please contact the Reference Desk with questions regarding laptop use.
Mobile Printing at the Library
- Print from your laptop or device while in the library.
- Send a print job from your computer or mobile device while at your home, work, or anywhere with Internet access.
- Printing costs: black and white - 10¢ per page / color - $1 per page
- You must retrieve your print job the same day. Library hours: Monday - Friday: 9:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m., Saturday: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
Sunday: 1 - 5 p.m. (Closed Sundays Memorial Day to Labor Day)
- Send a print job.
- Copier/Printer near Reference Desk will scan documents to email.
Put document face up in the feeder or face down on the glass.
On control panel, press 1. Menu, 2. Scan/Fax, 3. Email, 4. enter email address (tap shift to find @), 5. press Start.
- Recipient will see " Message from KM-C227" from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This is a free service.
- Free Wi-Fi
- See librarians for instructions to connect. New password will be required beginning Tuesday, March 26 2019.
Word Processing/ Photo Editing Computers
- Two Microsoft Windows 10 computers
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint And Publisher 2013.
- Adobe Lightroom is available for photo editing
- These machines do not connect to the Internet. Users may access and save files with a flash drive or CD.
- There is no charge and no time limit to use a word processing computer.
- For printing, the first page is free and each additional page is 10¢.