Use your library card number to access these resources if requested.
Local History / Genealogy Room
The Local History / Genealogy Room houses the historical collections of the Library. These include the Reference Michigan collection (RM), Reference Genealogy (RG), Midland newspapers on microfilm, and other microform materials. The Reference Michigan collection is comprised of materials pertinent to the City of Midland and Midland County, materials important to the development and history of the county, major industries, and major personages.
- Ancestry Library Edition - In-library use only | User Guides
- American's Genealogy Bank and America's Obituaries | User Guides and Helps
- Midland Daily News (2002- )
- Midland Daily News Index (2003- ) includes obituaries
- Midland Historic Newspapers (1870-1922)
- MyHeritage Library Edition (Replaces Heritage Quest)
- Bay County Library System - Local History and Genealogy
- Clare - Pere Marquette District Library | Clare County Historical Society
- Gladwin County Library Genealogy | Gladwin County Historical Society
- Isabella County - Chippewa River District Library | Genealogical Society of Isabella County
- Public Libraries of Saginaw - See drop-down box "Genealogy and History"
- Archives of Michigan | Getting Started in Genealogy | Michigan Historical Center
- Clarke Historical Library | CONDOR (Clark Online Digital Object Repository) - Includes historical newspapers, CMU yearbooks, and other historical documents.
- Michigan Digital Newspapers Portal - Guide to Michigan newspapers available in digital format, some free and some fee.
- Michigan Plat Maps - This collection contains maps that document the original land surveys that were conducted by the federal government to lay out Michigan's township and range grid system. They do not include owners names. Part of the seeking Michigan collection.
- Michigan Family History Network
- Michigan Genealogical Council
- Midland Genealogical Society
- Seeking Michigan | Death Records | Death Records Tutorial - You will need headphones to listen to the tutorial in the library. Bring your own, or check out a set.
- 1940 Census at NARA
- Castle Garden - From 1855 to 1890, the Castle was America's first official immigration center
- Online Searchable Death Indexes (free)
- Ellis Island Foundation - Free registration required
- Family Search - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Find a Grave
- Fold3 - Dedicated to U.S Military Records. Pay site, but with some free material
- Interment.net Cemetery Transcription Library
- General Land Records Office - Bureau of Land Management
- We Relate Wiki - Free online tutorial videos. You will need headphones to listen to tutorial. You may bring your own or check out from the library.
- Where to Write for Vital Records - online from the CDC
Genealogy Libraries & Organizations
- Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center
- AmericanAncestors.org (NEHGS)
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Library
- Internet Archive - Contains free images of many old books, texts, films, etc.
- Linkpendium the Definitive Directory
- National Genealogical Society