Emergency Alerts

◄ Back
June 5, 2020 2:14 PM


As Midland County moves into the rebuilding phase of flood recovery, it is imperative to know the requirements for construction permits and inspections for flood-damaged properties and infrastructure.

Property owners in Midland County are reminded that they should secure all required permits and inspections as they make repairs and replace infrastructure in their homes and businesses. The process for requesting these services is outlined below.

Properties in the Floodplain

All repair work for structures within the 100-year floodplain will require an evaluation by the City of Midland Building Inspector to determine if the structure has been substantially damaged as defined in Michigan’s Building Codes and under National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) laws. It is very important that structures within the floodplain receive proper evaluation and permits so that people rebuild and repair safely and to ensure that communities within the NFIP remain in compliance with their programs.

In addition to local construction permits, some restoration projects will also require permits from the Department of Environment Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE). EGLE permits may also be required when residents are working within regulated areas such as the 100-year floodplain, wetlands, lakes, and streams.

As a rule of thumb, if a new structure is being built in a regulated area, an EGLE permit is required. Filling and grading within the 100-year floodplain requires a permit. If a driveway crosses a river or stream and the bridge or culvert failed, an EGLE permit is required to reconstruct or replace the stream crossing. Permits are not typically required for roadside ditch crossings.

ELGE permits are not required for construction outside of regulated areas and are not required to remove debris from the flood.

Residents who have questions about EGLE permitting or requirements for rebuilding in the floodplain should visit www.michigan.gov/jointpermit or contact EGLE District Engineer Joy Brooks at 989-280-1632.

To schedule a building inspection or apply for a building permit related to the recent flooding event in the City of Midland, residents should call the Building Department at 989-837-3383 and leave a voicemail message regarding their project or email the appropriate staff member.

Individual inspectors can be reached as follows:

Steve Taglauer, Chief Building Official – staglaue@midland-mi.org
Mike Streeter, Electrical Inspector – mstreeter@midland-mi.org
Jim Armstrong, Plumbing/Mechanical Inspector – jvarmstrong@midland-mi.org
For fire safety inspections and other plans related to fire safety, please contact Midland Fire Department Fire Marshal Tony Lelo at 989-837-3413 or alelo@midland-mi.org.

To find City building permit applications forms, building permit and inspection information, and more, please visit www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/building. For fire department permit and inspection information, visit www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/fire. Fees will be waived for all City permits related to flood damage.

Facebook Twitter Email