Contact: Fred Yanoski, MPH Director/Health Officer
Office: (989) 837-6574
March 22, 2020 - Laboratory testing has identified Midland County’s fourth positive case for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). The individual is a physician at MidMichigan Medical Center-Midland. The Midland County Department of Public Health (MCDPH) is working closely with MidMichigan Medical Center-Midland to identify patients and staff that may have been exposed. Those identified as potential exposures will be contacted and provided the appropriate guidance per CDC recommendations.
COVID-19 symptoms include fever, cough and shortness of breath and may appear between two (2) and fourteen (14) days after exposure.
Midland County Department of Public Health continues to encourage residents to take precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Continue to practice social distancing as recommended by Federal, State and Local Officials
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Disinfect commonly touched surfaces
- Stay home when you are sick
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
“We cannot stress enough how important it is for our community to be diligent in their community mitigation efforts. We know that COVID-19 is in our community, and our residents can make a huge impact on slowing the spread of disease by following the recommended precautions.” said Fred Yanoski, Director/Health Officer at the Midland County Department of Public Health.
Additionally, MidMichigan Health has a COVID-19 informational hotline with a reminder of CDC guidelines and recommendations. The hotline can be reached toll-free at (800) 445-7356 or (989) 794-7600. Michigan Department of Health and Human Services also has a hotline number for Michigan residents for questions about COVID-19. The number is 1-888-535-6136 and is available seven days a week from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Residents can also send an e-mail to: COVID19@michigan.gov. E-mails will be answered seven days a week between 8:00am and 5:00pm.