April 28, 2023 – Looking to make a difference in the Midland community? The City of Midland invites residents to apply for positions on one of the City’s boards and commissions.
Unless otherwise noted, no experience is necessary to apply – just a desire to serve the community! Residency or other application requirements will be listed under each position if applicable. Some positions listed will fill vacant existing terms, while others are new terms for which the incumbent in the position may also be interviewed.
Please see below for a description of positions with current or potential vacancies and each board or commission’s responsibilities.
Downtown Development Authority Board
- Two (2) property owner positions to fill new 4-year terms beginning May 1, 2023
o Applicants must have an interest in property located in the downtown district, which generally spans from Jerome Street to State Street from Indian Street to Main Street.
The Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is a body created under authority of P.A. 197 of 1975 for to prevent deterioration in business districts, to create and implement development plans, to issue bonds, and to utilize tax increment financing. This board meets bi-monthly on the second Wednesday of odd months at 3 p.m. Terms last four years.
Find an application at www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/dda.
International Fire Code Board of Appeals
- One Code Professional position to fill a new 3-year term beginning July 1, 2023
- Applicants must possess experience and training on matters pertaining to hazards of fire, explosions, hazardous conditions or fire protection systems.
The International Fire Code Board of Appeals hears and decides appeals of orders, decisions, or determinations made by the Fire Marshal relative to the application and interpretation of International Fire Code. The Board of Appeals is appointed by the Fire Chief.
Interested applicants for this position should contact the City Manager’s office at 989-837-3301 for consideration on this board.
West Main Street Historic District Commission
· One architectural representative to fill a new 3-year term beginning July 1, 2023
· Applicant must be a graduate of an accredited school of architecture who has two (2) years of architectural experience or who is an architect duly registered in Michigan.
· A non-city resident possessing these qualifications may be appointed in an ex officio capacity in the event a city resident meeting these qualifications is not appointed.
The West Main Street Historic District Commission makes recommendations to the City Council on the development and administration of guidelines for all work on structures within the West Main Street Historic District. This commission meets quarterly on the fourth Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m. Terms last three years.
Find an application at www.cityofmidlandmi.gov/westmain.
Applicants may submit applications to email@example.com; by mail to City Hall, Attention: City Manager’s Office, 333 W. Ellsworth Street, Midland, MI 48640; or by placing the application inside an envelope and putting it into the secure drop box located inside the front doors of City Hall. Applications will be accepted until 5 p.m. on Friday, May 19.
Applicants must be City of Midland residents unless otherwise noted. Any applicants who have previously applied for a board or commission vacancy are asked to submit a new application.
For questions or more information, please contact the City Manager’s Office at 989-837-3301.